Updated on April 15th, 2022
Apple iOS 15.4.1 was released on March 31 with a single security fix for a major issue. The iOS 15.4.1 download is fairly small, around 300MB for most iPhone users. This update is crucial for all iPhone users to keep their data privacy intact.
This update came just two weeks after the release of iOS 15.4, which came with multiple security fixes and some new security and privacy features. The iPhone maker doesn't reveal many details about the security fix. "An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited," is all that Apple says on its support page.
Security researchers were irked by this news commenting that any program with the ability to execute commands with kernel privileges can allow a hacker to gain full control of your devices. With the steadily rising cases of malware attacks looks like Apple should have been more careful with its operating system updates.
According to the Apple support page the issue, labeled CVE-2022-22675, was found by an anonymous researcher. iOS 15.4.1 came with the following release note:
- Battery may drain more quickly than expected after updating to iOS/iPadOS 15.4.
- Braille devices may become unresponsive while navigating text or displaying an alert.
- Made for iPhone/iPad hearing devices may lose connection within some third-party apps.
Users who downloaded the new update have responded well. They say that the battery life is stable and the performance is faster than iOS 15.4.
If you are yet to update your phone to the new OS have a look at some of the most popular features of this update:
- Face ID while wearing a mask option on iPhone 12 and newer
- Apple Pay and password autofill in apps and Safari can be used with Face ID while wearing a mask
- New emojis including faces, hand gestures, and household objects are now available on the emoji keyboard
- Handshake emoji allows you to choose separate skin tones for each hand
- SharePlay sessions can be initiated directly from supported apps
- Siri can provide time and date information while offline on iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone 11 or newer
- Siri now includes an additional voice, expanding the diversity of options
Other iOS 15.4 Features
- Safari webpage translation adds support for Italian and Chinese (Traditional)
- Podcasts app adds episode filters for seasons, played, unplayed, saved, or downloaded episodes
- iCloud custom email domains can be managed from the Settings
- News offers enhanced discovery of audio content in the Today feed and Audio tab
- Camera on the keyboard can be used to add text to Notes and Reminders
- Shortcuts now support adding, removing, or querying tags with reminders
- Emergency SOS settings have changed to use Call with Hold for all users. Call with 5 Presses is still available as an option in Emergency SOS settings
- Close-up in Magnifier uses the ultra-wide camera on iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max to help you see small objects
- Saved passwords can now include your own notes in Settings
We hope you love our reviews! For your information, we do earn money from commission in the link in the content! For more information click here!